Thursday, November 1, 2007

An Ode to Bar Food


I promised myself I wouldn't write another blog about greasy, unhealthy food, but last week when my friend begged me to go to a bar in the village with her to watch the Red Sox game, I couldn't resist. Phebe's is a tavern/bar located on 359 Bowery. It's quaint atmosphere is a great after work/after school place to hang out, and most notably it was a great place to watch the Sox game in the World Series. With knowledge of Boston being a huge rival with New York, I was skeptical that this bar would actually be a bar filled with Boston fans, but I was surprised to see the bar completely filled to the brim with the fans. I watched them scream and cheer at every possibly moment, and more importantly I got to taste their amazing bar food. If you come to Phebe's on Monday through Friday from 4-8pm there is half price on all appetizers. My friend and I split this heaping pile of nachos which came out to $4.95! We stuffed our faces and our belly's just in time for the game to start. However, the lingering aroma of buffalo wings got the best of us. On Mondays and Wednesdays, there is a pitcher special. If you buy a pitcher you can get wings for only 10 cents each! We bought a pitcher of bug light and munched on these amazing and meaty wings. The bill came out to only $25 for the both of us and we left- her happy the Red Sox won and me leaving happy because of my buzz and delicious food. Of course there are many other great bars in the city with great bar food, but this bars great deals and great sporty and hospitable atmosphere is a place I will definitely be returning to.

Until next time, happy eating!

Bianca

2 comments:

Chic Chick said...

Those nachos look amazing! It would be great if you could talk about some places near school. I am such a slave to Graces, EJ's, or JG Melons, any reccomendations?

Bianca the Food Guru said...

I'll definitely check out some more places by school! I do recommend Southern Hospitality, which is a close walk away, patsy's which is on second ave. and 71st, bar coastal up on 78th and first ave. has absolutely the best wings ever, and if you're looking to go on an expensive yet great date in the area check out per lei. It's right on the corner of 71st and second. It's pricey but the food is fresh and the atmosphere is great.