Thursday, November 15, 2007

Italian Comfort at Tony Dinapoli's

When people, including myself, think of the words "best," "New York" and "food", the results are usually all the same: Italian food. New York's italian food can never be beat by any place in the world, other than it's motherland, Italy. Sometimes it can be hard to pick and choose a place to get a great Italian meal since there are so many in the city. My friend and I decided to go to our favorite place: Tony Dinapoli's.

Tony's is a great homestyle Italian restaurant where all the dishes are served family style. The portions are huge and can usually serve up to three people, making the prices very reasonable and a great spot to go out and split an entree or two with some friends. My friend and I first glanced painstakingly over the wine list and I finally decided on a glass of Tony's Straw Bottle Chianti for $7. We ordered our favorite appetizer, the mozzarella and tomato salad for $16.95. There was so much for the two of us but we basically ate it all. Plump slices of tomato with mozzarella and shredded basil drizzled with balsamic vinegar made our mouths water. For an entree we wanted something cheesy, which meant their baked ziti napolitano for $19.95. The plate was hot, steamy, cheesy and delicious. The ricotta melded perfectly with the sweet sauce. Other dishes we have had over the past that are amazing is the rigatoni with vodka and mushrooms and "Tony's shrimp," which is their famous appetizer. It's bruschetta of crispy sliced bauguettes with marinated shrimp on top. Definitely worth trying!

What makes Tony's a great bargain is that with all the food comes massive leftovers. My friend and I got our leftovers separate to go and I got ao whole other dinner out of it! My friend and I went to the quieter Tony's location on Second Ave. and 83rd St. but there is also a two story Tony's on 43rd. St. btw. 6th and 7th Ave. It's a great place to go grab something to eat with friends before a Broadway play since there is hardly ever a wait and the portions are fantastic.

Until next time, happy manga!!

Bianca

No comments: