Monday, October 22, 2007

Drag Dining at Lips


It was my mother's birthday last week and I didn't know where to take her to celebrate, until she suggested Lips. Lips, located on 2 Bank Street, isn't any old restaurant. It's actually a restaurant where your servers are none other than fabulous drags queens! I've been to Lips once before, but Diva Thursdays was quite a spectacular experience.
Every Thursday night, the Lips ladies put on a performance where they dress up as various famous divas that lip sync and dance for the crowd. My mom and I saw Dolly Parton, Bette Midler, Madonna, and Cher closed the show, with Joan Rivers as the announcer.

(From Left to Right: Joan Rivers, our waitress Ginger doing her best Bette Midler impression, and Ginger getting "up close and personal" with a customer; Below: Cher serenading the crowd)

Besides the crowd pleasing "waitresses" is the $8.50 famous Frozen Cosmopolitans (I had two and was feeling tipsy!) and the food. Surprisingly the food is extremely tasty and not overpriced considering the show is free (except for a $10 entertainment fee on Fridays and Saturdays). My mom and I split the $7.95 "Paulina" chicken fingers that came with a chipotle mayo dipping sauce. The dipping sauce was awesome. When it came to entrees, I chose the "Gloria Wholesome," salmon with white wine tarragon butter sauce served with jasmine rice and baby greens (19.95) and my mother stuck with the "Mirkala Crystal"- Chicken and sauteed mushrooms in parmesan cream sauce over fresh spinach fettucine ($15.95). My mom raved about her pasta and I loved the pan seared salmon with the rice and the light baby greens. I ended up feeling full without feeling stuffed for cake.

(Left to Right: Paulina, Gloria Wholesome, Mirkala Crystal)
We ordered the Chocolate Sin cake ($6.50) and Ginger came out with a cake and crown for my mom to wear. After Ginger seductively danced on my mom, we all cheered for her and we split the most amazing chocolate cake ever! The night definitely ended on a positive note and it was a birthday to remember.
A suggestion for anyone interested in Lips: make a reservation a week or two in advance. It gets extremely packed but it is well worth checking out. Lips throws different themed parties every night. Next time I go, I'll definitely check out Wednesday nights, otherwise known as "Bitchy Bingo" night.

Until next time, Happy eating!

Bianca

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This place looks and sounds like tons of fun. Will definetely try it on my next outing to NYC.

Jessica said...

That place looks awesome...I wanna go!