Thursday, November 1, 2007

Burrito 101

If I could pick any sort of ethnic food group I could live on for the rest of my life, it would be Mexican food. Although many may argue I've never had true mexican food since I've never traveled to the south western part of the United States, I will say "New York" Mexican food is absolutely out of this world. Therefore, instead of my usual blogging about a certain place, I've decided to blog about my three favorite places in New York City to grab Mexican food.

1. El Sombrero is located on the lower east side (108 Stanton St., to be exact) and has a great intimate dimly lit setting with candles is perfect for going on a cheap date. The restaurant is decorated with authentic Mexican style paintings along with a sombrero, of course. There's the courtesy chips and salsa as well as cheap yet strong margaritas. A small marg is only $4 and worth it! I always opt for a chicken and cheese burrito which comes in a huge portion for only $10.00. The food tastes very authentic and fresh, with all items only the menu ranging $14.00 and under. With the lower east side being one of my favorite Manhattan spots, after dinner at El Sombrero take your date or group of friends to Pianos on 158 Ludlow Street. They have great music every night and a young hip crowd with well made drinks. Shows are every night, every day of the week and are usually $8 to watch bands play in the showroom. There is also a lounge act which is upstairs and usually free. Every Monday night in the lounge act there is "Smart Ass Rock 'n Roll Trivia" and every Tuesday night there is even a "Guitar Hero" party! It's definitely a great atmosphere and a great excuse to find new bands and music to listen to.

2. Blockheads is located in various parts of the city and each one tastes as delicious as the next location. Their frozen margaritas are $3 every day no matter what! My favorite is the Black Flower which is half sangria, half frozen margarita. I usually mix it with a coconut frozen marg. Their quesadillas as absolutely huge and can usually last two meals worth. I opt for the quesadilla grande for $9.95 with has melted monterey cheese, black beans, salsa cruda, spanish rice, guac, and sour cream. My other suggestion is to go here for lunch. They have $8.95 lunch specials that come with a soda, chips and salsa. This place has become a weekly treat for me because of how inexpensive and delicious it is.

3.Chipotle, again like Blockheads is a big chain. I usually go to the one in midtown on 53rd btw. Third and Lexington because it's closest. The burrito bowl is a great option because its the contents of everything you want for in a burrito without all the bready-ness. A burrito bowl usually ends up being about $8. While it's my favorite place to go, I would say go for an informal lunch date with a friend because with chipotle you wait online and there aren't waitresses who take your order. Therefore, it's not really the "classy night out" type place but the food is something to try out. You must be wondering, what's my burrito bowl of choice? Chicken, rice (I love the cilantro mixed in with the rice!), pinto beans, lettuce, mild salsa, sour cream, cheese and a nice helping of guacamole. Is this making you hungry yet?

Until next time, happy eating, and let there always be peace, love, and guacamole!

Bianca

2 comments:

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

I love Mexican food! Chipotle is the best...blockheads is great too...I haven't tried that other place that you mentioned but maybe I will since I trust your taste in food...great blog, once again!