Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Cilantro

The Upper East Side can offer many tantalizing treats like Italian, Thai, Chinese food, etc., but sometimes being a college student on the Upper East Side can leave a person in a food rut. Students fill themselves on every food they could think of in the neighborhood to get away from the cafeteria food, but yes, it does get boring after awhile. Since I'm an avid lover of Mexican food I decided to try Cilantro, a Mexican food joint located on 71st and 1st Avenue, an avenue away from my college campus.

The atmosphere was very cozy inside and was decorated to look somewhat like an adobo hut. It was dimly lit with candles which gave a relaxed, yet classy and romantic feel. My friend and I both received complimentary chips, including plantains and a mild salsa. Since we just got out of class, we were itching for some alcohol.
My friend ordered the Wildberry Frozen Margarita ($8) while I ordered there special Sangria of the day ($8.50) complete with strawberry juices, chopped apples, oranges and a cherry to top it off. The great thing about the drinks is that the prices aren't bad since they come in 16 ounce classes so they are generally big.

My friend ordered the chicken quesadilla appetizer, complete with jack and cheddar cheese, corn salsa, and green chilies ($8) along with their chicken tortilla and lime soup ($5). She said the food was fantastic and the quesadilla, although it was an appetizer, was so much food she got to bring half of it home.

I ordered the tequila shrimp enchilada ($16) with red chile sauce, rice and beans. This dish was great because it was entirely smothered in jack and cheddar cheese and the shrimp tasted fresh.

This is definitely not a Taco Bell, so the food tastes a lot more authentic and it's a great place to catch drinks with friends after a hectic day at school. This post is dedicated all who read my blog at school.
Stay tuned for next week where I try an authentic cuisine most people didn't know existed in the city!

Until next time, happy eating!

Bianca

No comments: