Thursday, October 4, 2007

Vynl

One of the best places to catch up with a friend is at the diner. Even Sex and the City shows the girls meeting at least once a week at their favorite diner to catch up on their lives as well as their favorite comfort food. Needless to say, a close friend and I opted for some comfort last night at our favorite diner. However, Vynl is not just any old diner. Located on 78th and second (there are three other locations in the Upper West Side, Chelsea, and Hell's Kitchen) we sat in a booth and enjoyed the scene. Vynl is a diner that mainly absorbs itself in the music scene.
There were obviously vinyl recordings lining the disco ball glittered walls along with various memorabilia such as New Kids on the Block dolls and Spice Girls lunch boxes. Sitting down, our waiter created us with some Vynl vinyl album menus. The drink menu always post a problem because everything sounds so great and all the names are funny to say. There's the Fiona-Appletini, The Purple Rain, but naturally my friend and I chose the Pearis Hilton, which consisted of ketel one, pear liqueur, and pineapple juice. It was really strong and so delicious that I next decided on trying the "Who's-da-man-go?" which was a take on a mango mojito (my favorite). For $8 each on a well made drink, it was worth having more than one, and it was worth the smile on my waiter's face when I told him I wanted a "Who's-da-man-go?"

The food on the menu is unique as well. Besides the usual diner foods, there is also Thai and Asian stir fry on the menu that always smells amazing, but my friend and I always stick to our usual faves. I ordered the caesar salad with salmon topped with harissa paste. Harissa paste has this nice spice and kick to it that made my taste taste even better, and for only $11.75 it was really worth it. My friend always gets the grilled cheese with tomato that comes with a pickle and homemade potato chips that comes to only $5.50!


Even though we were stuffed we definitely were in the mood for something sweet. The dessert menu was so tempting, and since each dessert was only $5.50 each, we decided to split the banana bread pudding. It was coconut banana bread pudding with whipped cream, berries, and caramel sauce that was so amazing we didn't even bother taking a picture and it was seriously scarfed down in two minutes!
Towards the end of the night, we had to go to the bathroom, which is one of the my favorite places (no, I'm not weirdly obsessed with bathrooms). The bathrooms are noted as "Halls of Fame" where each restaurant has different bathrooms that worship some of the greatest of all time pop and rock stars. My friend situated herself in the Madonna bathroom while I was in Beyonce. Each bathroom plays songs from that particular pop star. My bathroom was playing songs from Dream Girls, with a Beyonce doll encased in the wall and on the opposite wall was a huge mural of Beyonce.

Vynl is definitely a place you can spend all night hanging out and getting drinks with your friends, listening to music and joking around with your humorous waiter. Hope you enjoyed the blog, foodie friends.
Until next time, happy eating.

Bianca

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I loved your entry, it made me really hungry for some food from Vynl!

Michael said...

I've actually been to Vynl and I agree with your post!! The atmosphere there is really cool.