Sunday, October 14, 2007

I've Got Soul..at Amy Ruth's

Fall has finally hit full force. With the cold air and leaves falling, it was a perfect outing on this lazy hazy Sunday. My friends and I decided to catch an early dinner at the best soul food restaurant in Manhattan: Amy Ruth's. Amy Ruth's has been opened since 1998 on its 133 w. 116th St. address and caters to everyone from family, friends, to celebrities such as John Legend and Denzel Washington!

This is a great place to experience the authentic soul food cuisine. It's also a place that will give you a food coma afterwards. The best time to go is on Sundays, around two or three in the afternoon. It's got a good crowd and this food can serve as your breakfast, lunch and dinner because of the great helpings and huge portions.

My friends and I were starving so we quickly glanced over and salivated over the menu. Everything sounded incredibly but a friend of mine and I decided to order the "Terry Rivers" which was honey dipped fried chicken that came with any two sides of your choice. My other friends chose on a platter of waffles with fried catfish, the fried seafood platter, and fried chicken platter. Before our main courses came out, we munched on the best corn bread I have ever had. The bread was extremely soft, fluffy, and free!

When our main courses came out we almost jumped for joy. The aroma is this homey joint can make any full person hungry again so needless to say we were famished. Here is a depiction of the honey dipped fried chicken. I ordered the mac and cheese and green beans sides while my friend ordered the mac and cheese with mashed potatoes and gravy. All of this food was only $13.95 each! My chicken was a really generous size and the drizzled honey made it more worthwhile. All of the food prices were no higher than $16 a course which made it a cheap yet delicious place to go. My other three friends were also satisfied with their meals, and while we were getting ready to take a nap and unbutton our jeans, we couldn't deny ourselves dessert.
Depicted is the peach cobbler ($4.50) and the red velvet cake ($5.00) complete with cream cheese icing. We also ordered the creamy banana pudding with nilla wafers ($3.00) but it disappeared before I even had time to take the picture! The dessert portions were perfect for the five of us, and we left Amy Ruth's with only dropping $25 per person on the bill. Amy Ruth's is definitely the perfect place to catch up with friends in a laid back and friendly atmosphere with only the best comfort/soul food.
Afterwards, you and your friends might want to check out the Harlem Shabazz Market, on 116 st. btw. Lenox and Fifth Avenues (right down the block from Amy's). It's an outdoor lot filled with African clothing, paintings, jewelry, pottery, etc. and is run by Africans who are complete in their kente clothing. It was interesting to see all the African instruments and jewelry that were made by the Africans on the premises. My friend and I both bought this really neat snake necklace for $10. It's definitely a place worth stopping by to experience African culture and find some really unique and cheap jewelry.

Until next week, happy eating!

Bianca

7 comments:

Chic Chick said...

I need to stop reading your blog before I have really eaten anything in the day. Now I am out of control hungry, especially for some of that corn bread. Looks delicious!

Jessica said...

Great blog post...made me very hungry...I especially loved the pictures of the dessert, yumm...BTW I love how you sometimes describe great places to shop nearby! Awesome blog, keep it up!

Robin said...

Red Velvet cake is quite possibly one of the best desserts ever...I second that comment about reading this while hungry, but then again, I suppose my food blog is no better at simulating hunger!

Lexie said...

love your blog, love amy ruth's, love being snake sisters, love YOU!

Michael said...

WOW that food looks really good!! I would love to get your views on Justin Timberlake's new restaurant then...I think he tried to accomplish what Amy Ruth has already established!!

Unknown said...

Your pictures and description of the food made my mouth water!!! especially the peach cobbler pic.
I must try this place - hopefully I'll run into John Legend or denzel - good food, good company what more can anyone ask for.

Bianca the Food Guru said...

Hey Michael,
If you check out my second post I talked about JT's restaurant. I must say it was pretty good southern food but it was by no means as fantastic as Amy's. Definitely take the opportunity to head to harlem for some great soul food!