Thursday, September 13, 2007

Show Your Hospitality, in a Southern Way

It's the beginning of September, which means back to my final year of school and me moving back into my Upper East Side apartment. One of the first places I dragged my friends to was Southern Hospitality, a Memphis BBQ joint located on 77th Street btw. 2nd and 3rd Avenues. While most people might wonder why this was my restaurant of choice, I have only two words: Justin Timberlake. The Southern BBQ place is owned by no other than international music icon Justin Timberlake, so I was curious to check it out. Once walking in the restaurant, I noticed the back wall had a red painting of Elvis, as well as photographs of Johnny Cash and that pleasant aroma of BBQ.
Our first course was the fried pickles. Being a pickle fanatic, I was eager to try these fried yet sour treats, and I think I found a new love. The side of spicy mayo to dip the tangy pickles in made them all the more amazing. Afterwards, I worked my way over to my entree. I chose the fried catfish, complete with fries, coleslaw, and corn on the cob for only $16! While it tasted more like "fried" than "fried catfish", the sides really made the meal all the more better. The big question is, would I rush to go here if it wasn't JT's restaurant? Probably not, but for cheap prices ($5-$22 per appetizer or entree and $6 draft beers) it's definitely a place to show your hospitality, even if you're not southern!

*SIDE NOTE
After the meal, you might want to check out Housing Works Thrift Shop on 202 77th St. (btw. 2nd and 3rd). It's a thrift shop filled with designer pieces up for auction (an Escada beaded coat for $95) or even designer items ready to buy, such as the $50 Prada flats. It was too bad they were too small for my feet! It's also great for apartment furniture shopping because of their $200 couches in mint condition. The best part is that you're actually helping homeless men, women and children who are HIV positive get proper meals and shelter. Housing works is a nonprofit organization filled with volunteer employees and all of the money for the donated items goes towards this organization! So get your bid on and do something good for yourself as well as others.

Until next time, Happy Eating!
Bianca

6 comments:

Jeanette said...

i want to go on a food adventure with you! i miss my blog..i think you've inspired me to restart it!

i can't decide what is more exciting, mac and cheese or JT <3 haha
xx
j

Chic Chick said...

I have been curious about JT's restaurant. I'm glad to hear that it is cheap and pretty good. Thanks for the good tips I will def check it out.

mamabear 253 said...

will have to try this place out - sounds really great! I love how you include both food and shopping - your two favorite pasttimes!!

Jessica said...

Justin Timberlake can do no wrong and his restaurant is great!

I love your blog and I will be adding you to my blog roll.

-Jess
http://magnificentmanhattan.blogspot.com/

Cari said...

I'm such a sucker for southern fried fattening but delicious food. And I must admit the whole JT thing is intriguing. If someone told me that this restaurant was terrible I would probably still go try it because Justin Timberlake+fried food= a pretty sweet combo of guilty pleasures.

Kslo2485 said...

The pulled pork and the purple haze beer are delicious too! Can't wait to go again and stalk JT!